- Did European pig-welfare legislation reduce pig welfare? Perhaps not, but experts confirm that common indestructible materials are not proper enrichment for pigs at all, except perhaps for an enhanced novel branched-chains design.
- How can we feed the world?
- Pig animation – Improved, branched chain design as proper enrichment for pigs
- An essential element of sustainable, circular farming: Integrity & a circular welfare economy
- How would I spend 10 billion to improve the Netherlands? I’d burn it.
- Future of intensive livestock farming: R.I.P?
- Reflection on running science as a business
- How (not) to excel in doing well?
- Publications on AMI sensors
- Comparing overall welfare across species and conditions
- animal welfare
- Branched chains
- Disruptive thinking
- Editor responsibilities
- Fattening pigs
- Floor-directed behaviour
- Golden Rule
- Growing pigs
- In memoriam
- Scientific reviewing
- Weaned pigs
- Welfare score
If you like my personal views, you may consider making a donation. It's highly appreciated.
Category Archives: Politics
Published as: Marc B.M. Bracke and Paul Koene, 2019. Expert opinion on metal chains and other indestructible objects as proper enrichment for intensively-farmed pigs. PLOS ONE. Available at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0212610. EC Directive 2001/93 requires that all pigs have access to proper … Continue reading
How can we feed the world? That is no doubt a serious question. In this post I show why this question is also ambiguous in a way that may be blocking a sustainable solution. The problem The world population is … Continue reading
How would I spend 10 billion € to improve the Netherlands? NRC newspaper asked readers to write a short answer to this question. This is my answer: Seven opinionators already gave their answer (NRC 16 aug, 2017). Each had a … Continue reading
Would it be proper to run a scientific institute as a business, or would it be a category mistake? Category mistake A category mistake is a rather fundamental mistake concerning the true nature of a concept. An example would be … Continue reading
Plea to draft Ag-gag legislation in the Netherlands This post considers why we need ag-gag. Ag-gag laws protect the livestock industry from exposure of animal cruelty by animal activists. This mainly US-based legislature forbids the undercover filming or photography of on-farm … Continue reading